Current Ideas: A Blog by Jeffrey A. Schaler

I've created this blog--"Current Ideas"--to share news and views related to my teaching, writing, and interests. If you want to post something, please keep it brief and to the point. Good contact is the appreciation of difference. There's no limit on opinions or information posting, but the tone of this blog is one of reasonably civilized discussion. Hate material is out, as well as unsupported extreme personal attacks.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Stop the Drug War by Grant Wilder Smith

Stop the Drug War
by Grant Wilder Smith


I became drawn to the drug policy reform movement in 2000 while attending a Unitarian Universalist church, and working on local anti-racism projects in the Deep South. Over the years, I have learned much about the societal and public health impacts of the drug war, and have also experienced drug addiction first hand from a close family member. My interest in drug policy brought me to Washington, D.C. where I participated in community outreach services for the city's syringe exchange program, and have worked on several advocacy projects with Unitarian Universalists for Drug Policy Reform and Interfaith Drug Policy Initiative. In addition to studying drug policy, the criminal justice system and congressional behavior at American University (B.A., Political Science; Law and Society, 2005), I interned with Drug Policy Alliance's National Affairs Office and Transform Drug Policy Foundation in the United Kingdom. I've also worked directly with the "offender" population through two internships with a federal law enforcement agency. In addition to supporting and having considerable knowledge of a wide range of drug policy alternatives, I firmly advocate for the harm reduction and legalization models. Now, I'm actively seeking a JOB in the drug policy or criminal justice reform movements. Hiring?

More

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home