Current Ideas: A Blog by Jeffrey A. Schaler

I've created this blog--"Current Ideas"--to share news and views related to my teaching, writing, and interests. If you want to post something, please keep it brief and to the point. Good contact is the appreciation of difference. There's no limit on opinions or information posting, but the tone of this blog is one of reasonably civilized discussion. Hate material is out, as well as unsupported extreme personal attacks.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Here's Looking at You, Kidney

Here's Looking at You, Kidney

How and why I became an organ donor -- and how I kept people from talking me out of it.

By Virginia Postrel
Texas Monthly, June 2006

Until last November, I'd never thought about being a kidney donor. I hadn't known anyone with kidney disease, and like most people, I hadn't filled out an organ donation form when I'd gotten my driver's license. I'd never even donated blood. That all changed after I ran into a friend and asked, "How's Sally?" I got an unexpected answer: "She's. . . all right," in a tone that made it clear she was most definitely not all right.

Sally Satel and I have been friends since 1997. . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home